Friday, June 22, 2012

Little & Large... New Haven & Philip Haas clocks

Little & Large... New Haven & Philip Haas clocks Tube. Duration : 1.02 Mins.


These clocks stand side by side on the shelf behind the sofa. On the left is a New Haven 8 day striking clock, striking hours only. The bell actually sounds much better than it does in the video, thankfully. Next to it is a Philip Haas 30 hour striking clock. The pressed brass hands were on it when I bought it. I normally deplore this kind of unsympathetic restoration, but I thought the hands looked quite good on it despite being totally wrong for the type and period of clock. I had to replace the dial though, as the one fitted to it was a glossy cardboard one with the winding holes crudely punched through it. Worse, it had a big crease across it, and worst of all, it had been put on wrong with IIII at the top! I managed to find this Orel (Russian) alarm clock dial which was a perfect fit and had Roman numerals. That was in 1987. Nowadays I'd get a proper style of dial and hands, but I've decided to keep this one the way it is. Despite being a cheap 30 hour clock it keeps excellent time thanks to a dead beat escapement. Both clocks have been stopped for over a week due to me being away from home. It is good to have these clocks displayed together, to illustrate and appreciate the similarity between American and German products of the time. Visit my site at: tommysclocks.blogspot.com

Tags: clock, clocks, collection, Haas, Schwarzwalduhr, striking, chiming, pendule, Pendeluhr, Tischuhr, Kaminuhr, New, Haven, PH&S, American, Black, Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment